Are you tired of having your PS4 controller tethered to your console while you’re playing games? A wired connection can be inconvenient and limit your range of motion. The good news is that you can easily set up your DualShock 4 controller to connect wirelessly to your PS4.
Going wireless offers a number of advantages. You’ll gain more freedom to sit or move wherever you want while gaming. You won’t have to worry about your charging cable getting tangled or yanked out of your controller. And you’ll reduce wear and tear on your controller’s USB port.
In this guide, we’ll walk through the different methods to pair your PS4 controller without a USB cable. We’ll also provide some troubleshooting tips in case you run into any problems with the wireless connection.
What You’ll Need
Before you get started, make sure you have the following:
- A PlayStation 4 console
- A DualShock 4 controller
- A Micro USB cable for the initial setup only
The USB cable is required to pair your controller the first time. But after the initial setup, you’ll be able to connect wirelessly moving forward.
Pairing Your Controller Via the PS4 Settings
The easiest way to pair your PS4 controller without a USB cable is by using the settings menu on your console.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Turn on your PS4 console.
- Connect your DualShock 4 controller to the console using a Micro USB cable. This is just temporary for the setup.
- Press the PS button on your controller to turn it on.
- On your PS4 home screen, go to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth Devices.
- Select your controller and choose Remove Device to unpair it.
- Once removed, hold down the PS and Share buttons on your controller simultaneously until the light bar starts rapidly flashing. This puts the controller into pairing mode.
- On your PS4, go back to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth Devices. The controller should now show up as an available device.
- Select your controller and hit Register to pair it with your console wirelessly.
- That’s it! Once paired, you can disconnect the USB cable and your controller will stay connected. The next time you use your controller, you can just press the PS button to turn it on and it will connect to your PS4 automatically without needing a USB.
Pairing With the Reset Button
Another way to put your PS4 controller into pairing mode is by using the reset button on the back. Here are the steps:
- Turn on your PS4 system.
- Locate the small reset button on the back of the controller, next to the L2 shoulder button.
- Use a small thin object like a paperclip to press and hold the reset button for 3-5 seconds.
- The light bar on your controller will begin rapidly flashing, indicating it’s in pairing mode.
- Go to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth Devices on your PS4.
- Select your controller from the available devices list and hit Register.
- Once paired, you can let go of the reset button and start using your controller wirelessly.
Using the reset button is an easy alternative if you don’t want to temporarily connect your controller via USB first. Just be careful not to press the reset button for too long or you may reset your controller completely.
Using a Wireless Adapter
If you want your controller to connect wirelessly without Bluetooth, another option is to use a wireless gaming adapter. These accessories plug into your PS4 console and create a direct wireless connection with your controller.
One popular adapter is the Cronus Zen, which provides low-latency wireless gaming audio and chat. To use it:
- Plug the Cronus Zen adapter into a USB port on your PS4.
- Turn on your controller by pressing the PS button.
- Hold down the Sync button on the Zen adapter until it blinks rapidly. This puts it in pairing mode.
- Press and hold the PS and Share buttons on your controller simultaneously.
- After a few seconds, your controller will connect wirelessly to the adapter.
The main benefit of a wireless adapter like the Cronus Zen is that it provides a more reliable and lower latency connection compared to Bluetooth. The downside is you have to purchase an additional accessory.
If you run into any trouble getting your PS4 controller to connect wirelessly, here are a few things to try:
Controller Won’t Connect
- Make sure your controller is charged. The battery may be too low to establish a wireless connection.
- Try resetting the connection by holding down the PS and Share buttons simultaneously until the light bar flashes. This forces the pairing mode to reset.
- Fully power down your PS4, unplug it for 60 seconds, then restart the system. This may resolve any software issues interfering with pairing.
Connection Keeps Dropping
- Ensure your PS4 console and controller are within 30 feet of each other. The Bluetooth connection range maxes out at around 30 feet.
- Check for interference from other devices. Make sure there are no objects blocking the signal between your PS4 and controller.
- Try resetting the controller connection using the steps above. There may be some wireless interference disrupting the existing connection.
If problems persist after trying the troubleshooting tips, you may need to contact Sony PlayStation customer support for further assistance.
Go Wireless for More Gaming Freedom
Connecting your PS4 controller wirelessly is quick and easy once you know the steps. Whether you use the console settings menu, reset button, or wireless adapter, you’ll be free of cables in no time.
We hope this guide takes the hassle out of wireless pairing your DualShock 4 controller. Just remember that a USB cable is still needed temporarily for the initial setup process.
Now toss those cables aside and enjoy your favorite PS4 games with greater freedom and convenience. Game on!
Jason Matthews is a highly regarded technology journalist and the esteemed editor of ThrustVector.com, a leading online platform dedicated to all things related to computers, USB keyboards, and other essential peripherals. With a profound passion for the intricacies of technology, Jason has spent years immersing himself in the ever-evolving world of computer hardware and peripherals.
Jason's expertise lies in his ability to decode complex technical jargon and present it in a manner that is accessible to readers of all backgrounds. His in-depth knowledge of the latest advancements allows him to provide insightful analysis, comprehensive product reviews, and practical guides, ensuring that ThrustVector.com remains a trusted resource for technology enthusiasts and beginners alike.
With an unwavering commitment to staying at the forefront of technological advancements, Jason prides himself on his ability to anticipate emerging trends. His meticulous research, attention to detail, and dedication to delivering accurate information have solidified his position as a trusted authority in the field. Through his contributions to ThrustVector.com, Jason continues to empower readers, enabling them to make informed decisions in the dynamic world of technology.